- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/8 cup hot water
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Baking soda bath:
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- Cooking spray
- Melted butter
- Cinnamon sugar for topping
- Prep your baking soda bath by adding ingredients to a 3-4 qt pan and letting it come to a gentle boil.
- Prep another baking sheet with cooking spray, being sure it is fully greased.
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine hot water & yeast. Stir until dissolved.
- Add warm water, brown sugar, applesauce, honey and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Slowly add 4 cups of whole wheat flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a dough that doesnt stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly flour counter or a large baking sheet and also your hands.
- Knead the dough until it is stretch & smooth. Push dough down and away from you with the palms of your hands, turning the dough as you work.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal sized balls. Using the following 4 steaps, shape each dough balls into a pretzel shape:
- Roll the dough into a 14 inches long rope as thick as your thumb. Bend the dough into a U shape.
- Cross one ends of the rope over the other one. The ropes should cross about 3 inches from the tips.
- Twist the crossed ends, making a full turn. Fold ends back, towards the middle of the U.
- Open the ends slightly to form a pretzel shape. Press ends into the dough firmly.
- After you have made your pretzels, your baking soda bath will be ready.
- Using a pancake turner/wide slotted spatula, immerse one pretzel into the water and allow it to come up to the surface. It will float when its ready - about 30-35 seconds.
- Place pretzel onto your greased cookie sheet, shaking off excess water.
- Spray the tops of your pretzels with cooking spray and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Brush with melted butter and top with cinnamon sugar.
NotesHere is my recipe for honey wheat apple cinnamon pretzels:
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Oatmeal-cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken with Roasted Lemon & Rosemary SauceSee More