- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 18 slices
- Preparation Time: 10
- 3 large black old pungent bananas mashed
- 1 TB Butter
- 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 C dark honey
- 1 egg
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Add 1-2 TB sugar if you want it sweeter.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Oil or butter up a bread pan.
- Mash bananas and let sit.
- Mix butter, applesauce and honey.
- Add egg and lemon juice.
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Stir until just moistened, some lumps are okay.
- Bake an hour at 350.
NotesI thought banana bread would be the ideal thing to make healthy. This came out very moist. Heavy, not Too crumbly, but still sweet enough to be a treat.
Bananas shouldn't be all yellow (or green) to make a bread that tastes strongly enough of banana! I let the one that got brown go REALLY brown, then throw it in the freezer. Then when I have 3 or more and feel like making banana bread there they are!