- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey, and stir well. Mix in whole wheat flour, salt, and vegetable oil. Work all-purpose flour in gradually. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for at least 10 to 15 minutes. When dough is smooth and elastic, place it in a well oiled bowl. Turn it several times in the bowl to coat the surface of the dough, and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down the dough. Shape into two loaves, and place into two well greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise until dough is 1 to 1 1/2 inches above pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes
NotesThis is the first yeast bread I made. I just started searching allrecipes.com, looked for one with lots of good reviews and tips, and chose this one. Its so yummy, and I thought it wasn't too hard. I always double the amount of honey because i love how sweet it gets. If you slice it really thick and make it into french toast...it's like heaven.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More