- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Ingredients for sponge cake:
- 2 eggs (replace with 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp lemon juice)
- 150 ml (1/4 cup honey + 1/8 cup caster sugar + 1/8 cup brown sugar)
- 250 ml cake flour (1 cup: 3/4 cup all purpose flour + 2 tbsp cornstarch)
- 7.5 ml (1.5 tsp) baking powder
- a pinch of salt (1/4 tsp)
- 125 ml milk (1/4 cup)
- 25 g butter (2 tsp) + 1/6 to 1/5 cup olive oil
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla essence
- Ingredients for custard icing:
- 500 ml milk
- 100 ml custard powder
- 125 ml butter at room temperature
- 200 ml caster sugar
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 100 ml desiccated coconut, toasted to a golden brown in a dry pan (optional)
- Step 1
- For the sponge cake:Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and/or line 2 cake tins.
- Step 2
- Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Step 3
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together, then fold into egg mixture.
- Step 4
- Heat milk and butter until butter is melted, but don’t let it boil. Add vanilla, then fold into flour and egg mixture.
- Step 5
- Pour batter into lined cake tins, then bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
- Step 6
- Remove from oven, and cool on wire racks.
- Step 7
- For the custard icing:Dissolve the custard powder in 100 ml milk. Heat remaining 400 ml milk until boiling point, then add custard mixture and stir for a few minutes over lowered heat until it is smooth and thick. Take care not to let it burn. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Step 8
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar and vanilla for a few minutes until creamy.
- Step 9
- Add cooled custard to butter mixture, then beat on high speed for about 3 minutes until smooth. It will look slightly curdled, that is perfect!
- Step 10
- Spread custard on cake layers and on top, then top with toasted coconut.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More