- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 large fresh eggs, separated, and at room temperature
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup fresh heavy cream, well chilled
- 150g pine nuts
- 100g honey
- Oil a 9 inch by 5 inch loaf pan, and line it completely with plastic wrap, ensuring enough extra plastic wrap overhangs the edges so the pan can be covered after filling.
- Toast the pinenuts till they’re lightly golden, then sprinkle them into the base of your loaf pan and set it aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with the 2 tbsp sugar until they become light yellow and creamy.
- Mix the mascarpone and honey into the mixture, and beat until well combined and fluffy, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat the ¾ cup sugar with the 1/3 cup water, until the sugar melts (occasionally give it a swirl and brush down the sides with a wet pastry brush to dissolve any sugar crystals).
- Continue to cook until the syrup reaches 120 degrees C.
- While the syrup is cooking, with cleaned beaters, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form, then make an Italian meringue by carefully drizzle the syrup slowly into the egg whites while beating and turning the bowl.
- Continue to beat the egg whites after all the syrup is added until the egg whites are completely cooled, and the meringue is shiny and holds firm peaks.
- With cleaned beaters, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold ¼ of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture. Carefully fold the egg yolk mixture and the whipped cream into the meringue.
- Gently scoop the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, smooth off the top, fold over the extra plastic to cover, and place in freezer for at least 2 hours.
NotesYou can read more about this on my food blog - http://www.insanitytheory.net/kitchenwench/2007/07/18/ice-cream-for-the-gadgetless/