- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1.5 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- a little buttermilk and sugar for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a baking sheet.
- Sift together whole wheat and AP flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in sugar and oats.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or use a food processor) until pea-sized.
- Add honey.
- Stir in buttermilk until a dough forms (you may need a little less than 1/2 cup).
- Knead dough onto a flour surface 8 or 10 times.
- Roll and cut the scones any way you like (I used a biscuit cutter; you could just make a circle and cut 8 wedges out of it).
- Brush scones with buttermilk and sprinkle sugar on top, if desired.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until done.
NotesThese are not only delicious, they are actually pretty healthy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Best of Eva's Family RecipesSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More