- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1.5 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- a little buttermilk and sugar for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a baking sheet.
- Sift together whole wheat and AP flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in sugar and oats.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or use a food processor) until pea-sized.
- Add honey.
- Stir in buttermilk until a dough forms (you may need a little less than 1/2 cup).
- Knead dough onto a flour surface 8 or 10 times.
- Roll and cut the scones any way you like (I used a biscuit cutter; you could just make a circle and cut 8 wedges out of it).
- Brush scones with buttermilk and sprinkle sugar on top, if desired.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until done.
NotesThese are not only delicious, they are actually pretty healthy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More