- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces dry black-eyed peas (1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- Place black-eyed peas in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Cook bacon in a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven until crisp.
- Drain bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in Dutch oven.
- Set bacon aside.
- Cook onion in drippings over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender but not brown. Add black-eyed peas, bacon, water, ground red pepper, salt, and black pepper to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add uncooked rice and return to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings
NotesThis recipe comes from a Better Homes & Gardens holiday book. I found it several years ago, and it has become our New Year's Day recipe for good luck! Great served with corn bread!! Enjoy! :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More