- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces dry black-eyed peas (1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- Place black-eyed peas in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Cook bacon in a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven until crisp.
- Drain bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in Dutch oven.
- Set bacon aside.
- Cook onion in drippings over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender but not brown. Add black-eyed peas, bacon, water, ground red pepper, salt, and black pepper to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add uncooked rice and return to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings
NotesThis recipe comes from a Better Homes & Gardens holiday book. I found it several years ago, and it has become our New Year's Day recipe for good luck! Great served with corn bread!! Enjoy! :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Foodie BabySee More
Chicken LinguineSee More