- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces dry black-eyed peas (1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- Place black-eyed peas in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Cook bacon in a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven until crisp.
- Drain bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in Dutch oven.
- Set bacon aside.
- Cook onion in drippings over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender but not brown. Add black-eyed peas, bacon, water, ground red pepper, salt, and black pepper to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add uncooked rice and return to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings
NotesThis recipe comes from a Better Homes & Gardens holiday book. I found it several years ago, and it has become our New Year's Day recipe for good luck! Great served with corn bread!! Enjoy! :)
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Get Cookin'See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More