- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryServe as an accompaniment to Merlot Pot Roast (see recipe). From Sunset Magazine 2000 Annual
- 3-3 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes
- 1-1 1/2 cups half-and-half OR fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- Scrub and peel 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. russett potatoes; cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Put into a 4-5 quart pan with 2 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes mash easily when pressed, 20-25 minutes.
- When potatoes are done, heat 1 to 1 1/2 cups half and half or fat skimmed chicken broth with 2 T. butter or margarine in a microwave safe container at full power just until steaming, 1 to 3 minutes. Or warm in a 1 to 1 1/2 quart pan over medium heat.
- While cream heats, drain potatoes and mash in pan with a mixer or potato masher until almost smooth. Add cream, a portion at a time, and mix until potatoes have the consistency desired. Stir in salt, pepper, and 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish to taste. Mound beside Merlot pot roast or scrape into a bowl. Makes 6 to 7 cups
- Per serving: 189 calories, 31% (59cal) from fat; 3.9g protein, 6.6 g. fat (3.9 sat)) 29 g carbo (2.6 g fiber) 55 mg sodium, 19 mg chol.