- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 7 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (scalded)
- 2 yeast cakes softened in 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup raisins
- Pour scalded milk into a large bowl.
- Add sugar, salt and melted butter. Cool to luke warm.
- Stir in softened yeast and the well beaten eggs. In another large bowl sift flour, cinnamon and allspice.
- Add raisins and liquid.
- Mix well then cover and let rise in a warm place until double the bulk.
- Punch dough abd knead on a lightly floured board for a short time.
- Shape into large bisquits, and place on a well greased baking pan.
- Allow to rise again.
- Brush tops of buns with slightly beaten egg whites.
- Bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes.
NotesSome people think Bermuda is part of the Caribbean. Well folks Bermuda is North of the Caribbean islands, and is located less than 600 miles off the coast of Cape Hatteresas, North Carolina. Bermuda is a string of islands connected by bridges, and is at is widest point 2 miles and is 36 miles long. She is an internal self governing British Crown Colony, however her legal tender is not the British Pound but the US Dollar. Her first capital was St. George, named after King George III,however the city of Hamilton has been Bermuda's capital for many years.
In Bermuda no Easter is complete without Cross Buns.
We found this delightful recipe in "The Bermuda Cookbook" by Cecile C. Snaith-Simmons, which was given to us in 1989 by our friend Annie Y. who lives in Bermuda.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El JefeSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More