- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 pounds round steak, cut in 1" chunks (hamburger or stew meat can be substituted).
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (Note: oil not necessary for browning hamburger.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves crushed garlic, or to taste
- 1 can beer
- 1 can beef broth
- 3 oz. Tomato Paste
- 1-2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 fresh jalapeno peppers, minced, or 1/4 cup choped canned jalapenos
- 6 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 3/4 Tablespoon Oregano
- Directions: Heat oil in skillet. Brown meat chunks. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are limp. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer 1/2 hour (or all day in crock pot).
- Note: Chili beans and tomato juice can be added if desired.
NotesI've been cooking up this hot & spicy chili recipe since 1994! It originally appeared in a newspaper article featuring several chili cookoff recipes and was titled "Not Big Jim's Hogsbreath Chili". Big Jim was the guy that took first place and he wouldn't divulge his recipe, so this recipe is NOT BIG JIM'S! It's been changed over the years to make it quicker and easier to prepare, while still maintaining great flavor. For a milder chili, reduce or omit the jalapenos. Snackers note: Leftover chili makes a great dip; just reheat in the micro with some Velveeta chunks and open a bag of chips! YUMMMM!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
DIY Tasty Gift Ideas
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More