- Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes plus rising
BackstoryThis month's Improv Challenge: Chocolate and Marshmallows. Who wouldn't want this combo in a cinnamon roll?
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3-3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (2.5 oz) package instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 egg, room temperature, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into 4-5 pieces
- 1 cup mini-chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- 2-3 tablespoons half/half, divided
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Heat the milk,1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Let cool until temperature is about 110 degrees F (like bathwater warm).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups of the flour, salt, and cocoa.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk mixture with yeast, egg, and 2 cups of the flour mixture; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has just pulled together, turn it onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. (Alternately, just use the dough hook on your mixer and let the mixer knead the dough for about five minutes)
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a clean damp towel. Allow dough to rise until double, about 1 hour. In the mean time, process the brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon in a food processor until the mixture is well blended and the walnuts are chopped. Add the cold butter and pulse until incorporated.
- Roll out the dough into a 12X9 inch rectangle (I like to do this on my Silpat). Sprinkle the walnut mixture evenly over the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch edge. Roll up the dough from the long side and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal sized pieces and place into a greased 9X13 inch pan. Cover and let rise until doubled (or refrigerate overnight).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven.
- For the glaze, warm 1-2 tablespoons half/half and whisk into ½ cup marshmallow crème. Drizzle over the warm rolls. If desired, whisk some heated half/half into ½ cup chocolate chips and drizzle the chocolate over the marshmallow topping.