- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 32
- Preparation Time: 1 hr
- 2 1/2 c warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp dry yeast
- 6-7 c bread flour
- 3/4 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix water, yeast and 1 tbsp sugar together and let sit 5 minutes.
- Add oil, salt and flour (Start with 6 cups), and 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Stir until dough holds together.
- Knead until smooth. (5 minutes with dough hook, you want the dough cleaning the sides but with some sticking on the bottom)
- Add raisins, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg, then knead for another 2-3 minutes.
- Knead dough a little by hand until it is smooth and elastic.
- Put in greased bowl and let rise 10 minutes.
- Punch down. (Punch middle in and bring in all the sides and punch the big air bubbles out of each part)
- Let the dough rise 5 minutes and punch down again. (do 5 punch downs all together)
- Divide into 32 pieces and roll into balls (24 fit well on a 15"x10" stone bar pan)
- Let rolls rise for 20 minutes or until double in size.
- Mix 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup water into a smooth paste and pipe in a cross shape on top of rolls - plus shape, not X-shaped
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees until tops are golden brown and rolls sound hollow.
- Remove rolls from oven, and make a glaze of lemon juice and icing sugar.
- Brush on glaze while rolls are hot and allow them to cool.
- If rolls are a few days old, cut them in half and toast them, then spread on some butter and enjoy.
NotesMy husband and I often try to make recipes of things we had growing up in Australia, that we can't easily find in the USA. Hot Cross Buns was a variation on our French Bread, that my husband came up with a few easters ago. We love them!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More