- Cooking Time: 10
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 c milk
- 2 tbs butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 c sifted cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 c sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 c strawberry and/or raspberry jelly mixture
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line bottom of jelly-roll pan with parchment so that the paper overhangs the pan at 2 opposite ends.
- Heat milk with butter in small saucepan until butter melts.
- Reduce heat to low, and keep hot, but do not simmer.
- Sift flour with baking powder twice. Return to sifter and set aside.
- In large heatproof bowl, combine sugar, whole eggs and egg yolks. (I added some vanilla at this stage.)
- Hold bowl directly over a stove burner, whisking vigorously for about 1 minute until eggs are warm. (If you fear that the eggs will cook, you can alternatively set the bowl in a pan of barely simmering water, and whisk occasionally, until lukewarm to touch.)
- Now take off heat, and beat at high speed until mixture has cooled, tripled in volume, and has the consistency of thick whipped cream.
- Sift one-third of flour mixture over batter, and fold in gently by hand, using the largest spatula you have.
- Fold in half of remaining flour; then fold in the remainder.
- Pour the hot milk and butter into batter and fold well, scraping the bottom each time and bringing the batter up the sides of the bowl until you can no longer see traces of liquid.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- The cake will have browned on top, and started to shrink from the sides of the pan.
- Cool cake in its pan.
- Spread with 1/4 cup or more of berry jam and roll tightly.
NotesThe jelly roll recipe is from Cocolat by Alice Medrich.