- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, italian flavored
- 2 14.5 oz cans tomato sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 package (5 links) hot italian turkey sausage, cooked in a skillet according to package instructions, sliced into rounds
- 1 t. fennel seed
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. oregano
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 3/4 C grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Saute bell pepper and onion until soft and moisture has evaporated. Add tomatoes and sauce. Crush the garlic directly into the sauce. Add all remaining ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. The longer this simmers, the better it will taste. I let this go for about 3 hours, stirring every once in a while.
- Top sauce with fresh basil and more parmesan cheese.
NotesThis is a chunky veggie pasta sauce that I made using what was on hand. If I had sliced mushrooms around I would have put them in there too. I also wanted to use fire roasted tomatoes and sauce, but my grocery store quit carrying them recently. I served this over what boxed penne I had left, and when that ran out I made some polenta with fresh basil in it (pictured), that I grilled in the grill pan until crunchy on the outside.
C'mon a my house! (Metric and American measurements for most recipes)
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More