- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats (not instant)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter and shortening until a coarse-meal texture forms.
- Pour in buttermilk and mix just until blended, mix in raisins. Do not overwork the dough!
- Pat out on a floured board, cut with a cookie cutter or rim of a glass and place on ungreased sheets.
- Bake 12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time.
- Remove immediately to wire rack.
NotesThese are a delicious home version of my bakery's buttermilk biscuits. Rich, sweet and buttery, flaky and perfectly spiced with a hint of cinnamon, the dough works perfectly with dark Thompson raisins and (if you like) even pecans. Best warm out of the oven but can be frozen and microwaved for a quick nibble.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More