HULI HULI CHICKEN
Huli Huli Chicken
- 2/3 cups crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or gluten free tamari or liquid aminos)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced or grated ginger
- 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
- 1 1/2 cup chopped mixed bell peppers
Simmer crushed pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in medium saucepan until thickened and measures 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
Coat slow cooker with cooking spray. Transfer 1/2 cup sauce to slow cooker, reserve remaining. Season chicken with salt & pepper, add to slow cooker and coat evenly with sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.
About 30 minutes before the chicken is done, heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and when hot, add bell peppers. Sauté peppers until slightly softened and then transfer to the crockpot. Stir to combine and allow to finish cooking with the chicken.
Serve in a serving dish with juices.
* To make ahead/freezer meal: Prepare the recipe above as directed. Instead of transferring the ingredients into a slow cooker, place in a gallon sized freezer bag. Remove excess air, seal and freeze. When ready to prepare, defrost bag completely and place into a slow cooker. Cook 4 to 6 hours on low.
The sauce includes crushed pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. It may seem like an odd combination but trust me... over time, this concoction will create something pretty delicious. For fellow gluten free foodies, I used tamari in place of soy sauce. You can also use liquid aminos as well. I adapted this recipe by using crushed pineapple and adding some color with the addition of colorful bell peppers. Rather than broiling the chicken to finish after braising, I served it as is with its juices over steamed rice. It was very similar to a sweeter version of the popular Filipino Adobo. This is another dish you can prep for a make ahead slow cooker meal (directions included below).