- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup chili gravy, recipe below
- 6, 8" flour tortillas
- Filling Ingredients
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup 4 Cheese Mexican Blend
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Topping Ingredients
- 1 cup chili gravy, recipe below
- 1/2 cup 4 Cheese Mexican Blend
- Chili Gravy Ingredients
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp powdered garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 T chile powder
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- To make the chili gravy
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.
- Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients.
- Add chicken broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens.5. Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. If desired, add water to adjust the thickness.
- To make the enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line bottom of 9 x 13 pan with 1/2 cup chili gravy.
- In a medium bowl mix shredded chicken, beans (I smashed mine a bit, I seem to have slight texture issues with whole beans), cheese, and sour cream.
- Lay out one tortilla* and place 1/2 cup of filling mixture down the center. Fold up tortilla tucking in the ends and rolling into a cylinder. Place enchilada into pan, seam side down, and repeat process until all the filling mixture is gone.
- Top enchiladas with chili gravy and cheese. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 additional minutes. Serve with a "dollop of daisy" aka sour cream. :)
NotesMy secret for making flour tortillas pliable and easy to fold is to turn on a burner on the gas stove on and flop the tortilla over it. Let it set for about 15 seconds and then flip it over and let the other side warm for 15 seconds. Please remember that you are dealing with flames here so if your tortilla starts to smoke or catches on fire turn off the burner and remove the tortilla.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More