- Cooking Time: 35 to 45 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder, rounded
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup lukewarm buttermilk
- Mocha Icing to follow
- Now the recipe said to mix all this in the 9 x 9 baking pan. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa,baking soda, salt into your baking pan.
- Make 3 wells into the flour mixture.
- Add vanilla in one and vinegar in another one and melted butter into the last one.
- Then over this pour the lukewarm buttermilk.
- Mix this mixture until smooth and no flour is showing.
- Tape pan on counter to get out any air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven 350º for about 30 to 45 minutes. Cool on rack in pan. When cooled ice with the Mocha Frosting out of the pan.
- Mocha Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or dark rum
- 1 egg yolk, (I did not use)
- 2 tbsp. cocoa
- 3 tbsp. very strong coffee
- In your mixer combine butter and icing sugar together until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla and beat again until combined.
- Then add cocoa slowly until this is combined.
- Add the coffee until the frosting is the desired consistency.
- Frost cake and serve.
NotesWith the chicken skillet last week I also made Hurry up Chocolate Cake with Mocha Frosting. The recipe for the cake came from Cakes and Frostings with Schmecks Appeal by Edna Staebler. She was a Canadian author born in Berlin Ontario later more to Kitchener. In 2006 she died of a stroke. The recipes are from her mennonite neighbours, friends and family. This cake was very easy to make and the taste was so good, moist and the frosting with the coffee was perfect.
9" X 9" baking pan (I used 9" round)
Preheat oven 35oº