- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 40 Pcs
- Preparation Time:
- 1 quart canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups fine cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and
- light green portions
- Preheat an oven to 200°F.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil to 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Add the eggs and buttermilk and whisk until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add the green onions and stir until well combined.
- Let the batter stand for 5 minutes.
- Working in batches, use a small scoop or tablespoon to carefully drop about 1 Tbs. of the batter into the oil for each hush puppy.
- Fry, turning often with a slotted spoon, until the hush puppies are golden brown, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer them to the prepared baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining hush puppies.
- Serve immediately.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More