Hush Puppies I
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
* 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
* 3 cups cornmeal
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 small onion, minced
1. Heat vegetable oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine corn meal, baking powder, salt, milk, and water. Mix in egg and chopped onion.
3. Shape the batter into small balls, approximately 1 tablespoon each.
4. Use a long handled spoon to gently slide the hush puppies into the hot oil. Cook 8 or 10 at a time, until golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, and roll on paper towels to briefly drain. Serve hot.