HUSH PUPPIES I
- Cooking Time: 8-10 mins
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- * 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- * 3 cups cornmeal
- * 2 teaspoons baking powder
- * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- * 1 1/2 cups milk
- * 1/2 cup water
- * 1 egg, beaten
- * 1 small onion, minced
1. Heat vegetable oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine corn meal, baking powder, salt, milk, and water. Mix in egg and chopped onion.
3. Shape the batter into small balls, approximately 1 tablespoon each.
4. Use a long handled spoon to gently slide the hush puppies into the hot oil. Cook 8 or 10 at a time, until golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, and roll on paper towels to briefly drain. Serve hot.
Website Credit: http://allrecipes.com