- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 C. white self-rising cornmeal
- 3/4 C. self rising white flour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- Buttermilk to make consistency you desire
- Oil for deep-frying
- Mix all ingredients except oil and the more you mix, the lighter the batter will be. Batter should scoop out without being runny.
- Drop with small ice cream scoop into hot oil. They will rise to the top when they cook. You may want to turn gently but do not pierce with a fork or utensil when turning. This lets the oil penetrate into the hush puppy and they are heavy and dense then. Brown to desired tint and drain on paper towels.