- Cooking Time: 120
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 30-35
- 1250 grams of potatoes, peeled, washed and depending on their size halved or quartered
- 1000 grams of carrots, washed and diced
- 500 grams of onions, peeled and quartered
- 1000 grams of rib of beef in one piece
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 liter of water
- 1 Bring the water with some salt to the boil, put the beef in it and simmer softly for 75 minutes
- 2 Add the carrots and cook for another 15 minutes
- 3 Add potatoes and onions
- 4 Boil everything softly until almost all of the liquid is cooked away (30-35 minutes), if necessary add a little water, but make sure it doesn’t become too moist
- 5 Take out the bay leaves and the beef and cut the beef into slices
- 6 Mash the potatoes, carrots and onions and add salt and pepper to taste
- 7 Put the slices of meat on top of it and serve with gravey and mustard at he side.
- There is a quick version as well, using minced meat instead of rib of beef. Just cook the potatoes and carrots as decribed above with salt and bay leaves. Fry the onions in a skillet until soft, add the minced meat and fry until done. Mash potatoes and carrots, then stir in the fried onions and minced meat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Another way is cooking the potatoes, carrots and onions with the bay leaves pepper and salt and simply serve with a meat stew or meat balls with gravey at the side
NotesIn 1574 the city of Leiden in the Netherlands was being sieged by the Spanish army. The Spanish tried to starve the citizens in order to capture the city. Just at the point that food supplies were gone, the Dutch army came to the rescue. When the Dutch army entered the city on October 3rd, they only found a small pot of potatoes, carrots, onions and scraps of meat, and nothing else to eat. Since then the citizens of Leiden celebrate their liberation by eating potatoes, carrots, onions and meat on October 3rd, and it came to be called “hutspot” .
Hutspot is eaten all over the Netherlands during wintertime, but only in Leiden it is a traditionally must have on October 3rd.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More