ICE CREAM 'CANNOLI' - RAW DESSERT
Ice Cream 'Cannoli' - Raw Dessert
- Cooking Time: 120 minutes+
- Servings: Makes 4-6 shells
- Preparation Time: 30 min+
- 'Cannoli' Ingredients:
- ∙ 1/4 cup of organic flax seed meal
- ∙ 1/2 cup of spring water (or coconut water)
- ∙ 1/3 cup of organic pumpkin seeds (pre-soaked 10 hours)
- ∙ 2/3 cup of organic nuts (almonds and pistachios, pre-soaked 10 hours)
- ∙ 1/4 cup of organic cashews (pre-soaked 10 hours)
- ∙ 1/4 cup of organic hemp seeds
- ∙ 1 tbsp of organic raw honey
- Ingredients for hard cacao syrup (for shells)
- ∙ 3 tbsp of organic virgin coconut oil (melted at room temperature, do not heat)
- ∙ 1 tbsp of organic raw cacao powder
1. Preheat oven to to 120 degrees F. (Or you can use a dehydrator but the time will vary.)
2. Soak flax seed meal in water and set aside.
3. In a food processor, chop all the seeds and nuts together.
4. In a mixing bowl, add blended/chopped ingredients and honey. Mix well.
5. Add flax seed meal to bowl and continue mixing. (Flax seed meal should feel jelly-like)
6. On a cookie sheet, place a piece of parchment paper.
7. Scoop out the mix and place it on the parchment paper.
8. Using a wooden spoon, spread out the mix to cover the entire surface. You need to take some time to make sure it is even throughout (in depth).
9. Place in oven and dehydrate/bake for about 1-2 hours.
10. Once an hour or so has passed, remove from oven. Check if the mixture has bonded and is flexible. If not, put back in oven and check periodically. (Always leave oven door slightly open when oven dehydrating.)
11. Once mixture is flexible, cut into cone or square pieces (your choice of size, will make about 4-6)*.
12. Using a few cylinder devices, carefully wrap shells around each, to form a tunnel shape (not a full cylinder shape) and place back in oven for another hour or two.
13. Once an hour or so has passed, check on cannoli shells, make adjustments by pressing and continuing to form shape around the cylinder. Repeat process for another hour or two. The shell will start to curl slightly on it's own, the more it dehydrates. It is important to keep checking and pressing the shells carefully so that it takes form without breaking.
14. Once the canoli shells have formed and are completely hard (no remaing moisture), place them in the freezer for about an hour.
15. Prepare your hard cacao dip by mixing cacao powder and coconut oil in a small bowl.
16. Once cannoli shells are cold, stuff them with homemade ice cream using a knife that can fit in the hole.
17. Then place them on parchment paper and bathe them with the cacao syrup until it hardens. You will need to keep bathing them as it hardens so it can get dark enough to not see the shell. The ice cream inside will keep the shells cold, to allow for the cacao syrup to harden as you bathe it.
18. This should complete your hard cacao shells.
19. Decorate with honey caramel, let sit for a couple minutes and then serve and enjoy!
*There will be left over shell mix so you can crumble it and continue to dehydrate it to use for a topping (see photos).