- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is probably my favorite sandwich I've had in years. Enjoy it while tomatoes are at their peak!"
- 1 cup good mayonnaise
- 10 to 15 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 slices country loaf bread (I used both Ciabatta and a nice Feta Basil bread. I loved both)
- 1 heirloom or Israeli tomato, sliced (I had to substitute a nice Roma Tomato instead)
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the top of 2 slices of bread. Place the sliced tomato on top of one bread slice. Place the remaining slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, on top of the tomato. Cut the sandwich in half and serve.