- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 lb)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, cut in small cubes, seeds removed
- 1.5 cups full or low fat yogurt (DON'T use no fat yogurt, it has a terrible texture)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wash eggplant and punch a few holes in it with a sharp knife. Roast in oven until tender. You can even let it get brown to give it a lightly smokey flavor. It will take about 40 minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, cut up the onion and tomato.
- When eggplant is done, let cool a few minutes and then remove the flesh from the skin and chop finely.
- Heat a frying pan over medium high heat and add oil. When hot add the onion. When it is tender, add the tomato pieces and cook another minute. Then add the eggplant and garam masala and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the cooled vegetable mixture with the yogurt and add salt and pepper. Put in the refidgerator for about 1/2 hour to let the flavors blend.
NotesThis ia a strong flavored dish in the style of a raita. Go easy on the Garam Masala*; it has a very strong flavor.
*Garam Masala is an Indian spice mixture that has coriander, cumin, black pepper,cardomon and other spices depending on the region of India.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More