- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound Hokkien mie* (fresh yellow noodles)
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 14 ounces (1 block) firm tofu, cut into small pieces.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped chives
- 1 sprig karuvapillai** (curry leaves), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon chili sauce*
- 1 tablespoon Kecap Manis Sedang* (Medium sweet soy sauce)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 boiled potato, skinned and cut into small pieces
- 1 fresh green chilli, sliced (optional)
- Rinse noodles in warm water, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet and fry the beancurd (tofu) until golden brown.
- Drain and set aside. Sauté the onion in the same oil for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft then add the drained noodles, tomato, chives, tomato sauce, soy sauce and chilli sauce.
- Cook over gentle heat, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour over beaten egg and leave to set for about 45 seconds before stirring to mix it in well with the noodles.
- Add the potato and beancurd,stir, cook for another 30 seconds and put on a large serving dish.
- Garnish with green chilli and serve with additional tomato and chilli sauce to be added according to each person's taste.
- Can be purchased at Oriental food markets such as 99 Ranch Market or online.
- Can be purchased at Indian food markets such as Indian Sweets and Spices or online.
NotesThe island nation of Singapore has a wonderful culinary blend, from Chinese, Eurasian, Indian, Malay to Nonja food. The following dish is a vegetarian dish, but you don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy it.
The source of this recipe is "Singapore Food" by Wendy Hutton, which we purchased while in Singapore.
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Curried Wheat Bread
Chicken Fried Steak (TNT)
BRIE AND PROSCIUTTO FILLED CHILE RELLENOS ON A BED OF FIGS AND ARUGULASee More