- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryFrom Tasty's notes: This recipe for Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes is quick and easy…. and sure to satisfy a sweet tooth. Taking Mom out to dinner this Mother’s Day? Why not skip the dessert at the restaurant and come home to these cute little cakes…
These can come in “all sizes” … from regular size cupcake size to …. what I like to make…. jumbo muffin size.
So what size to make?…. well the answer to that depends on who you’re serving… the cupcake size is perfect for parties where other foods are being served… and you want to make an assortment. That size is perfect for treats for the family.
I like to serve the jumbo size if I plan on serving it that way instead of a cake. The jumbo muffin size is about the size of a piece of cake.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C white sugar
- 4 Tbsp pineapple juice
- 2/3 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick or 4 Tbsp)
- 2/3 C brown sugar (packed)
- 1-can pineapple rings
- 6-maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add eggs, white sugar, and pineapple juice. Beat for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and turn mixer back on for 2 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Stir on low heat for one minute.
- Spoon a layer of the warm brown sugar mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin, then place a pineapple ring on top. Add a cherry in the middle of each pineapple. Pour cake mixture over to fill muffin tin 3/4 of the way full. If you are using regular muffin tins, you will need to cut down the rings to fit or just use pineapple tidbits.
- Bake jumbo cakes for 25 minutes. Bake regular cakes for 20 minutes. If you choose to make a large cake, bake for 22-25 minutes in a 10 inch cast iron skillet. The cake is done with a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.