- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese little muffin-cakes are a favorite in my house as an after-school snack. I also like to have mine with tea.
From Martha Stewart Living Magazine
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing tin
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a standard 6-cup muffin tin; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, and zest until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time until creamy; set aside.
- Into a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture in alternating batches to butter mixture; set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks; fold into batter.
- Divide half of batter among muffin cups.
- Make an indentation in the middle of each; fill with 1 tablespoon jam.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in top cake layer comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Unmold cakes, and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioner's sugar and juice.
- Place rack over parchment paper; drizzle cakes with glaze.
- Makes 6 small cakes