- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- * 2 cups flour
- * ½ teaspoon baking powder
- * 8 tablespoons butter
- * ½ cup sugar
- * 1 egg
- * ½ cup milk
- * 2 apples
- * 2 tablespoons sugar
- * ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together and then cut in the butter until it forms pea sized and shaped crumbles. Add sugar to your flour and butter mixture.
- Lightly beat the egg and add the milk. Mix the egg mixture into the dough and blend that until you get a nice soft dough. Divide the dough in two.
- Spread half of the dough into a baking sheet.
- Peel and core the apples, then slice them thinly. Lay the apple slices onto the dough and sprinkle the 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon over the top of them.
- Roll out the remaining half of dough until it’s roughly in the shape of the bottom piece. Place the dough over the apples, pressing dough together on the edges to seal. Cut slits in the top shell to allow it to breathe.
- Bake your Irish apple cake for approximately 40 minutes or until it turns a nice golden brown. Let it rest for about five minutes before serving.
NotesSt. Patrick's Day is full of overindulgence typically but the focus usually isn’t on sweets. Why not change your St. Patrick’s Day traditions a little bit and add a dessert to the mix? This traditional Irish apple cake is the perfect way to cap off your St. Patrick’s Day festivities.