- Cooking Time: 1 Hr.
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15 Min
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 2 piecrusts (9 inches each), homemade or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium; add cabbage and potatoes. Cook until beginning to brown, 7 to 9 minutes. Add beef; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme, and 1 cup water. Cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Lightly mash mixture with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool completely.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll each crust into a 14-inch square; cut each into 4 equal squares. Place 1/2 cup filling on one half of each square, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the filling. Brush borders with water; fold dough over filling to enclose. Crimp edges with a fork to seal. With a paring knife or scissors, cut 3 small vents in each.
- Transfer pies to 2 foil-lined rimmed baking sheets; bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
- To Freeze: Prepare through step 2. Arrange unbaked pies on a baking sheet (they should not touch); freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Wrap each pie in foil. Place in a resealable plastic bag; freeze up to 2 months.
- To Bake from Frozen: Proceed with step 3, increasing baking time to 28 to 30 minutes.
NotesThis St. Patrick's Day, tuck the makings of traditional beef-and-potato stew into flaky pastries you can bake straight from the freezer.
(To be honest, using pizza crust makes it more of a calzone, so if you can look up martha Stewarts Empanada Crust Recipe and it will work beautifully)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Foodie BabySee More
Oatmeal-cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken with Roasted Lemon & Rosemary SauceSee More