- Cooking Time: 1-2 hrs
- Preparation Time: >30
- 3lb 5oz stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 6oz streaky bacon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 12 baby onions, peeled
- 18 button mushrooms, left whole
- 3 carrots, cut into quarters or 12 baby carrots, scrubbed and left whole
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 10 cloves of garlic, crushed and grated
- 15fl oz red wine
- 15fl oz chicken or beef stock
- For the roux
- 2oz butter
- 13/4 oz flour
- Brown the beef and bacon in the olive oil in a hot casserole or heavy saucepan.
- Remove the meat and toss in the onions, mushrooms and carrots, one ingredient at a time, seasoning each time.
- Place these back in the casserole, along with the herbs and garlic.
- Cover with red wine and stock and simmer for one hour or until the meat and vegetables are cooked.
- To make the roux, in a separate pan melt the butter, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- When the stew is cooked, remove the meat and vegetables.
- Bring the remaining liquid to the boil and add 1 tbsp of roux.
- Whisk the mixture until the roux is broken up and the juices have thickened, allowing to boil.
- Replace the meat and vegetables, and taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with Pea and spring onion champ.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More