- Cooking Time: 1-2 hrs
- Preparation Time: >30
- 3lb 5oz stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 6oz streaky bacon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 12 baby onions, peeled
- 18 button mushrooms, left whole
- 3 carrots, cut into quarters or 12 baby carrots, scrubbed and left whole
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 10 cloves of garlic, crushed and grated
- 15fl oz red wine
- 15fl oz chicken or beef stock
- For the roux
- 2oz butter
- 13/4 oz flour
- Brown the beef and bacon in the olive oil in a hot casserole or heavy saucepan.
- Remove the meat and toss in the onions, mushrooms and carrots, one ingredient at a time, seasoning each time.
- Place these back in the casserole, along with the herbs and garlic.
- Cover with red wine and stock and simmer for one hour or until the meat and vegetables are cooked.
- To make the roux, in a separate pan melt the butter, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- When the stew is cooked, remove the meat and vegetables.
- Bring the remaining liquid to the boil and add 1 tbsp of roux.
- Whisk the mixture until the roux is broken up and the juices have thickened, allowing to boil.
- Replace the meat and vegetables, and taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with Pea and spring onion champ.
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday EntertainingSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More