- Cooking Time: 65
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil - and some for drizzling
- 3 - 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup (half a bottle) stout beer (guiness or....)
- 4 slices, about 1" thick, good quality white bread, stale or lightly toasted and torn.1 cup whole milk (I used the skim I had on hand)
- 1/2 lb. deli cut corned beef brisket, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup grated Irish (or any old) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 lb good quality, thinly sliced smokey bacon, get it at your butcher counter
- Preheat oven to 357 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat olive oil, a turn of the pan, in a medium skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add celery, onion, carrot and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute to soften, 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in beer and stir.
- Let beer reduce by half.
- Turn off heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, soak the bread in milk.
- Grind the corned beef in a food processor.
- Wring out the bread and add it ot the meat, crumbling it into small crumbs over the bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper, mustard, cayenne and Worchestershire sauce.
- Add eggs then mix with your hands to combine.
- Form meat into a long brick shape about 4 inches high on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Wrap bacon slices across the top then around the sides of the loaf.
- Bake 1 hour in the middle of the oven then switch on broiler for a few minutes to crisp up the bacon!
NotesSaw this on Paddy's Day on Rachel Ray.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Jean’s Recipe File
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More