- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups (12 3/8 ounces) White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/4 cups (5 7/8 ounces) Bread Flour
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (3 ounces) raisins
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/3 cups (11 3/4 ounces) buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, and raisins. Using a mixer, a pastry fork or blender, or your fingers, cut in the butter until it's evenly distributed and no large chunks remain.
- In a separate bowl (or in a measuring cup) whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix to combine. The dough will be stiff; if it's too crumbly to squeeze together, add another tablespoon or two of buttermilk.
- Knead the dough a couple of times to make sure it's holding together, then shape it into a ball.
- Flatten the ball slightly, and place the loaf in a lightly greased 8- or 9-inch round cake pan, or in a cast iron pan; it won't spread much, so the pan doesn't have to be large.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a 1/2-inch deep cross, extending all the way to the edges, atop the loaf.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 400°F oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until it's golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and brush the top with melted butter, if desired.
NotesTraditional Irish bread that's great to serve with corn beef and cabbage.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
"Appreciation" The Complimentary "Clean Eats" Vol.3See More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More