- Cooking Time: 70 minutes
- Servings: 10 people
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 scant cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder until well combined.
- Using a pastry cutter, two forks or your fingers, cut in butter until well combined.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into the flour-and-butter mixture all at once, and stir with fork until all the liquid is absorbed and the mixture begins to hold together.
- It should look like a rough biscuit dough.
- Using your hands, press the dough into a round dome-shaped loaf about 8 inches in diameter.
- Lift the loaf from the bowl, and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk and cream together.
- With a pastry brush, brush the egg wash over the loaf.
- With a sharp knife or razor incise a cross, about 1/2 each deep, into the top of the loaf.
- Transfer to the oven. Bake, rotating halfway through, until it is deep golden brown and a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 70 minutes.
- Remove from the baking sheet to wire rack to cool.
NotesI am half Irish and I love all things Irish. Although this is not traditional Irish Soda Bread and it is more like a cake than a bread. Making this recipe makes me feel closer to my grandmother and ancestors from across the Atlantic.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More