IRISH VENISON STEW
Irish Venison Stew
- Cut venison into chunks and marinate venison in buttermilk to clean taste and tenderize the meat.
- 2 pounds of a choice meat, (Venison, Buffalo , Elk, Beef, Antleope, Lamb)
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups celery, cut into 1-inch diagonals
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled & sliced
- 1-2 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper 1/2 cup freshly hand picked shamrocks (for garnish)
Wash buttemilk off the venison. Mix the meat, juniper berries, peppercorns and garlic. Add 1 cup of the red wine. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours, or overnight.
Drain off the marinade and save. Heat the olive oil in your pot and brown the venison. Add the celery, potatoes and onions. Add all the red wine and 3/4 cup beef stock. Cover and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes, or until tender, adding the remaining beef stock during baking if necessary.
Remove from the oven. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Garnish serving plate with shamrocks and have a happy St. Patrick's day!