- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups apples -- sliced, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2t milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick Crisco butter flavored shortening
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- Heat oven to 400.
- Prepare bottom crust (below).
- Toss apples and juice in large bowl.
- Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Toss with apples until coated.
- Spoon into unbaked pie shell.
- Dot with butter.
- Moisten edges with water.
- Prepare top crust.
- Brush top with milk, sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover top with foil.
- Bake for 40 mins.
- Remove foil.
- Bake 10 to 20 mins longer, or until apples are tender, filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- Cool pie to room temp before serving.
- Crust: Combine flour and salt. Cut in crisco until pea size chunks are formed. Sprinkle with water, 1T at a time. Toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into 2 equal parts. Press between hands to form two 5 to 6" pancakes. Flour lightly on both sides. Roll crust out between sheets of waxed paper. Fit to pan.
NotesThis is our favorite apple pie. It freezes well unbaked, covered tightly in 2 layers of foil. On Thanksgiving and Christmas, I put the pie in oven(frozen) when we sit down to eat, and bake it for about 60 mins.
"From Crisco package"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More