- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups apples -- sliced, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2t milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick Crisco butter flavored shortening
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- Heat oven to 400.
- Prepare bottom crust (below).
- Toss apples and juice in large bowl.
- Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Toss with apples until coated.
- Spoon into unbaked pie shell.
- Dot with butter.
- Moisten edges with water.
- Prepare top crust.
- Brush top with milk, sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover top with foil.
- Bake for 40 mins.
- Remove foil.
- Bake 10 to 20 mins longer, or until apples are tender, filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- Cool pie to room temp before serving.
- Crust: Combine flour and salt. Cut in crisco until pea size chunks are formed. Sprinkle with water, 1T at a time. Toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into 2 equal parts. Press between hands to form two 5 to 6" pancakes. Flour lightly on both sides. Roll crust out between sheets of waxed paper. Fit to pan.
NotesThis is our favorite apple pie. It freezes well unbaked, covered tightly in 2 layers of foil. On Thanksgiving and Christmas, I put the pie in oven(frozen) when we sit down to eat, and bake it for about 60 mins.
"From Crisco package"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More