Italian Nut Biscotti
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
5 1/2 cups flour
3 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon anise seeds
4 teaspoons of corn meal
6 whole eggs + 2 egg yolks
2/3 cup melted butter
4 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1 cup whole almonds
1 cup pine nuts (or sunflower kernels)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line 4 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together first six ingredients.
3. In another bowl, beat together eggs, yolks, melted butter and lemon peel.
4. Add to dry mixture in large bowl. When well mixed, stir in all nuts.
5 Divide into four equal portions and one at a time, turn each out onto a floured board and shape into a log 12 inches long. Dough will be soft, add flour until you can handle it.
6. Place each log on a separate pan and bake 350 for 20-30 minutes until just firm. Do not let the bottom burn. Leave on cookie sheet and allow to cool completely . Reset oven to 300 while they cool.
7. Slice each loaf in 1 inch diagonal slices with serrated knife. Lay each slice on it's side on a cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes until dry and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
(Slices may be dipped in melted chocolate holding one end. )
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Cookies