- Cooking Time:
- Servings: about 8 dozen
- Preparation Time:
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 4 teaspoons of corn meal
- 6 whole eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 4 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup pine nuts (or sunflower kernels)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 and line 4 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, stir together first six ingredients.
- 3. In another bowl, beat together eggs, yolks, melted butter and lemon peel.
- 4. Add to dry mixture in large bowl. When well mixed, stir in all nuts.
- 5 Divide into four equal portions and one at a time, turn each out onto a floured board and shape into a log 12 inches long. Dough will be soft, add flour until you can handle it.
- 6. Place each log on a separate pan and bake 350 for 20-30 minutes until just firm. Do not let the bottom burn. Leave on cookie sheet and allow to cool completely . Reset oven to 300 while they cool.
- 7. Slice each loaf in 1 inch diagonal slices with serrated knife. Lay each slice on it's side on a cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes until dry and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- (Slices may be dipped in melted chocolate holding one end. )
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce