- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 lbs. mild or hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups seasoned croutons
- 5 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Crumble sausage and place in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until no longer pink, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and add bell pepper and onions; cook until onion is translucent, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, garlic and oregano; cook till mushrooms are tender.
- Add tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Remover from heat. Stir in croutons; mix well. Spread sausage mixture in pan.
- Combine egg whites, eggs, milk and black pepper. Whisk until well blended and pour evenly over sausage mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes,or until top is golden brown.
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Breads and Pastry 101
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Michoacan Style Carnitas Recipe
Toasted Coconut WafersSee More