- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 10 to12
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 3 1/2 lbs. regular or turkey Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 15.5 ounce cans cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 2 or more tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 29-ounce can tomato sauce
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Banana peppers for garnish, optional
- Brown sausge in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove sausage and place in a sieve to drain the grease.
- Place sausage in a large pot.
- Cook onion and peppers in olive oil over medium-high heat until slightly browned.
- Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer to pot.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the skillet and stir, scraping up browned bits.
- Add water to pot. Add beans, salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes and, if desired, crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir thoroughly. Cook over low heat about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If the chili gets too thick, add a little water to the pot. (about 1/2 to 1 cup)
- Serve with Parmesan, banana peppers, and garlic bread.
- More options:
- Jarred spaghetti sauce can be used in place of the tomato products.
- Omit garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- The chili can be cooked in a slow cooker.
- Follow the same directions,placing all the ingredients into a slow cooker, and cook on Low for about 8 hours, or 4 hours on High.
NotesSaw this in the Sunday paper and wanted to give it a try from the usual chili.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More