- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 10 to12
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 3 1/2 lbs. regular or turkey Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 15.5 ounce cans cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 2 or more tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 29-ounce can tomato sauce
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Banana peppers for garnish, optional
- Brown sausge in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove sausage and place in a sieve to drain the grease.
- Place sausage in a large pot.
- Cook onion and peppers in olive oil over medium-high heat until slightly browned.
- Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer to pot.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the skillet and stir, scraping up browned bits.
- Add water to pot. Add beans, salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes and, if desired, crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir thoroughly. Cook over low heat about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If the chili gets too thick, add a little water to the pot. (about 1/2 to 1 cup)
- Serve with Parmesan, banana peppers, and garlic bread.
- More options:
- Jarred spaghetti sauce can be used in place of the tomato products.
- Omit garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- The chili can be cooked in a slow cooker.
- Follow the same directions,placing all the ingredients into a slow cooker, and cook on Low for about 8 hours, or 4 hours on High.
NotesSaw this in the Sunday paper and wanted to give it a try from the usual chili.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Recipes for VitalitySee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More