- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 pound butter
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 6 cups pastry flour
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 15 eggs, separated
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cup pecans, roasted and chopped
- Cream butter, oil, and sugar until fluffy. Add yolks in 3 parts, beating after each addition. Stir baking soda into buttermilk that is in a container at least 4 times its volume. Set aside.
- Add sifted flour into batter, alternating with buttermilk. Add vanilla, coconut, and nuts. Dust the nuts with flour before adding so they do not settle at the bottom.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into prepared 8 or 9 inch cake pans that have been greased and lined with parchment. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Cool and frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting. You can flavor the frosting with coffee if desired. Do not keep this cake out of refrigeration for more than 2 hours.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Cooking with SabraSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More