- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAdapted from a recipe found on the Target website. 4 servings but My Hero and I found that 1/2 a sandwich was plenty for us. Great with a little roasted tomato soup and a piece of fruit. An easy Friday or Saturday night recipe.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 4 thin slices Mozzarella cheese (fresh is best)
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices Provolone cheese
- 4 slices pancetts cooked until crispy and drained (Italian bacon but regular will work 1 slice per sandwich cut in half or thirds)
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1/3 cup milk and 1/8 tsp white pepper in a shallow plate
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp cornmeal (you can substitute fine dry bread crumbs probably about 1/4 cup but it's bettere)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or mix of Parmesan and Romano
- Spread on side of each slice of bread with pesto.
- Make sandwiches, enclosing a slice of tomato, pancetta and onion between the slices of cheese one Mozzarella and one Provolone.
- Combine flour cornmeal and parmesan cheese. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture, then dip into flour mixture.
- Cook on a preheated contact grill until crisp and golden and cheese melts