- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 4 thin slices Mozzarella cheese (fresh is best)
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices Provolone cheese
- 4 slices pancetts cooked until crispy and drained (Italian bacon but regular will work 1 slice per sandwich cut in half or thirds)
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1/3 cup milk and 1/8 tsp white pepper in a shallow plate
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp cornmeal (you can substitute fine dry bread crumbs probably about 1/4 cup but it's bettere)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or mix of Parmesan and Romano
- Spread on side of each slice of bread with pesto.
- Make sandwiches, enclosing a slice of tomato, pancetta and onion between the slices of cheese one Mozzarella and one Provolone.
- Combine flour cornmeal and parmesan cheese. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture, then dip into flour mixture.
- Cook on a preheated contact grill until crisp and golden and cheese melts
NotesAdapted from a recipe found on the Target website. 4 servings but My Hero and I found that 1/2 a sandwich was plenty for us. Great with a little roasted tomato soup and a piece of fruit. An easy Friday or Saturday night recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Camp Nubar Baking Class
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More