- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup real butter, unsalted
- 2 gloves of garlic - minced -
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 pound ground beef - lean
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1 1/2 cups of red wine (Chianti or Sangiovese)
- 4 cups pomodoro or marinara sauce (depends on whether you want hot pepper heat from the pomodoro)
- Heat oil and butter in a deep heavy 2 quart pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and bell pepper. Saute gently until the onion is translucent.
- In a separate pan, cook off the beef until it looses it color. Drain off the fat and add the meat to the vegetable mixture. Repeat the same with the veal.
- Add wine, turn up heat to medium high and cook until all of the wine has evaporated.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and reduce the heat to the very lowest simmer and continue to cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Great served with Italian Sausage. Flavors are even better after a night in the refrigerator!
NotesA very old family recipe:
Great served with Italian Sausage. Flavors are even better after a night in the refrigerator!