ITALIAN MEATBALL BURGERS
- 8 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- Cooking spray
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (I used provolone)
- 6 (2-ounce) Italian bread rolls, split
- 3/4 cup fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
- Prepare grill.
Remove casings from sausage. Combine sausage, oregano, basil, salt, fennel seeds, garlic powder, and ground sirloin. Divide beef mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes. Turn patties over; grill 2 minutes. Divide fresh mozzarella cheese evenly over patties, and grill an additional 5 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
Place rolls, cut sides down, on grill rack; grill 1 minute or until toasted. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each roll; top each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce and top half of roll.