ITALIAN SAUSAGE & PEPPER PITAS
- 4 6" hot or mild Italian sausages
- 1 green bell pepper, cut lengthwise into quarters, stems and seeds discarded
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 pita breads
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Italian blend cheese
Prepare grill for direct cooking.
Place sausage links on center of grid over medium coals; arrange bell pepper and onion around sausages. Grill on covered grill 7 minutes. Turn sausages and vegetables; grill 8 to 9 minutes or until sausages are cooked through and vegetables are crisp-tender.
Brush pita breads on one side with oil. Place on grid at edge of coals; grill until soft.
Meanwhile, combine marinara sauce, basil and oregano in small saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
Cut sausages in half lengthwise. Cut bell pepper into strips and separate onion slices into rings.
Divide sausages, bell pepper and onion among pita breads. Top with sauce and cheese. Fold pita breads in half.