- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen tortellini pasta
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- 2. Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes with juice, carrots, zucchini, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- 3. Skim fat from the soup. Stir in parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.
- Serve with crusty bread.
NotesThis is a wonderful home style soup that really satisfies the soul. As with any soup, it's tastier the next day.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Short & SweetSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More