- Cooking Time: 15
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryThese small mushroom bites are filled with the flavors—and colors—of Italy!
Makes 3 dozen
- 36 medium whole fresh mushrooms (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (3 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Twist mushroom stems to remove from mushroom caps. Finely chop enough stems to measure 1/3 cup. Reserve mushroom caps.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chopped mushroom stems, onions and bell pepper in butter about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are softened; remove from heat. Stir in bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Fill mushroom caps with bread crumb mixture.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, in oven. Place mushrooms, filled sides up, in pan. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes.
- Set oven control to Broil. Broil mushrooms with tops 3 to 4 inches from heat about 2 minutes or until tops are light brown. Serve hot.