- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup-ish sliced turkey pepperoni
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded & chopped (I omit this)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 5, if you like garlic : D)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth (I actually use beef broth and prefer it)
- 1 tbs chopped fresh or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbs chopped fresh or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Garnishes: sliced fresh basil, shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook ground beef & pepperoni in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until beef crumbles & is no longer pink. Rinse & drain beef mixture.
- Saute mushrooms, bell pepper, green onions & garlic cloves in hot oil in Dutch oven 5 minutes. Stir in beef mixture, tomato paste & next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat & simmer 30 minutes.
- Garnish, if desired
NotesThis was on the AOL homepage one day a couple of winters ago and I love ground beef, pepperoni and soup so it seemed a perfect fit! With some variations for my tastes of course - I don't think I've ever followed a recipe to a "T"