- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 3 ¼ cups whole milk
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 7 large egg yolks
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 24 small savoiardi (Italian ladyfingers)
- ¼ cup limoncello or other sweet citrus liqueur
- 1. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the milk and lemon zest.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean, and add the seeds and bean to the pan.
- Bring a very brisk simmer over medium-high heat; do not allow to boil.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, flour, and sugar and whisk until the mixture is pale yellow and forms a ribbon when the whisk is lifted from the bowl.
- Gradually pour half of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture back to the saucepan along with the remaining milk and cook over high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the pastry cream coats the back of the spoon. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Pour half the cream into a stainless steel bowl and set in an ice bath to cool.
- Stir the cocoa and chocolate into the remaining pastry cream, making sure that the chocolate is completely melted.
- Then pour the chocolate cream into another bowl and set over an ice bath to cool.
- Whisk the creams occasionally as they cool.
- 3. Split each ladyfinger in half.
- Sprinkle the cut sides with the liqueur.
- Place a layer of the soaked ladyfingers in a large glass serving bowl.
- Top with a layer of the vanilla pastry cream, another layer of ladyfingers, and a layer of the chocolate cream; repeat the layering until all ingredients are used.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Makes 8 servings
- 2005 Mario Batali from Molto Italiano
NotesThis is my take on the Italian take on English trifle, which I have pared down by removing the day-glo colored liqueurs and odd schlumpy custards that have made this nearly inedible in many lesser trattorie all over Italy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
The NourishFull Kitchen
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More