- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryWarm up from head to toe with this hearty chowder, made with a variety of vegetables: the great flavors and convenience of canned, vitamin C-rich tomatoes and fiber-rich black-eyed peas, combined with celery, carrots and onions you have on hand. It’s easy to prepare as the main feature in a delicious meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups canned, reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- Salt and pepper, if desired
- 1/2 cup dry elbow macaroni
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add black-eyed peas, tomatoes, broth, water, basil, thyme, salt and pepper if desired. Bring to a boil; simmer for 10 minutes. Add macaroni and cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, about 12 to15 minutes, until macaroni is tender. Serve in soup bowls; garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 140; Total fat 2.5g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 480mg; Carbohydrate 24g; Fiber 4g; Protein 6g Vitamin A 45%DV**; Vitamin C 20%DV; Calcium 6%DV; Iron 10%DV