- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Shredded chicken:
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, grated
- 4 T. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 T. bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1.5 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 egg whites
- 2 T. butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 c. sliced carrots (approximately 2 carrots)
- 1/2 c. sliced celery (approximately 2 stalks)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 8 c. chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 c. acini di pepi or other small pasta (I used orzo because we had it in the house)
- 8 oz. fresh spinach
- Meatballs: Combine all ingredients and shape into small (1/2") meatballs. I refrigerated mine for a few hours and it helped to set the shape so they didn't fall apart in the soup.
- Shredded chicken: Place 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a stockpot and cover well with water. Bring to a boil and boil until completely cooked. Shred chicken and set aside. Empty water from stockpot.
- Soup: Melt butter in stockpot. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic, and cook until veggies are tender, but not too soft.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drop in meatballs and cook about 7 minutes. Add pasta and cook for an additional 6 minutes. Add spinach and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add in shredded chicken. Cover again and allow to simmer for another 30 minutes or so. You can eat as soon as the chicken is re-heated, but allowing it to simmer for a little longer allows all the new flavors to meld together.
NotesWe enjoy eating the soup with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese sprinkled on top.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More