- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWe enjoy eating the soup with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese sprinkled on top.
- Shredded chicken:
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, grated
- 4 T. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 T. bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1.5 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 egg whites
- 2 T. butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 c. sliced carrots (approximately 2 carrots)
- 1/2 c. sliced celery (approximately 2 stalks)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 8 c. chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 c. acini di pepi or other small pasta (I used orzo because we had it in the house)
- 8 oz. fresh spinach
- Meatballs: Combine all ingredients and shape into small (1/2") meatballs. I refrigerated mine for a few hours and it helped to set the shape so they didn't fall apart in the soup.
- Shredded chicken: Place 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a stockpot and cover well with water. Bring to a boil and boil until completely cooked. Shred chicken and set aside. Empty water from stockpot.
- Soup: Melt butter in stockpot. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic, and cook until veggies are tender, but not too soft.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drop in meatballs and cook about 7 minutes. Add pasta and cook for an additional 6 minutes. Add spinach and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add in shredded chicken. Cover again and allow to simmer for another 30 minutes or so. You can eat as soon as the chicken is re-heated, but allowing it to simmer for a little longer allows all the new flavors to meld together.
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
BROWNIE CUPCAKES WITH PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
Chocolate Chia Protein-Pudding
Bagel PizzaSee More